Wednesday, July 28, 2010

Tryin' to reason with hurricane season.

The steady southeast winds are gone.

My morning run along the shore of Tampa Bay has always been hot and humid, but a reliable breeze made it feasible.  Today there was no breeze.  The air was dead still. and so even more hot and humid. 

The Bay was mirror flat.  I ran in the blaze of two suns - one above the Bay and its reflection off the Bay. 

I thought I'd gotten acclimatized to running hot but this morning beat me down.  I broke and walked through patches of shade, then ran on to the next shade. 

I recognize this weather.  Hurricane Season.  I lived through these seasons during my years in the Islands.  It starts officially at the beginning of June and officially runs through to the beginning of December.  But from my own experience, the heart of hurricane season is from mid August to mid October.  This halt to the prevailing southeast winds marks its onset.

I'm reminded of Jimmy Buffett lyrics.

Listen - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xg-zwba7l5w

No comments:

Post a Comment