Friday, July 9, 2010

My quest to continue messing around in boats.

To arrive at a new port, unknown and without connections, seeking gigs as a freelance skipper is bound to be daunting.  That's challenge enough.  And to that these factors: the market for boat sales is as bad as anyone remembers, hurricane season is coming on strong, and the BP oil mess does the image of boating in this market no good at all. 
But that's my challenge and I go about it cheerfully.  I've been in these deckshoes before.  I know what doors to knock on - boat brokers, harbor masters, charter operations and sailing schools.  I carry copies of my updated resume with photocopies of  Coast Guard license and ASA Instructors card attached.  Smile.  Introduce myself with a brief statement explaining my purpose and experience.  Convey the truth, which is that I'm an old hand at this. 
My particular strength was acquired over long experience in the charter boat business - I'm good with people.  Not all skippers are.  I've known highly qualified captains who won't do charters.  They won't even deliver yachts if the yacht owner insists on going along. 
I'm not like that.  I've proven I can spend week long cruises with complete strangers and have their friendship at voyage end.  I can teach boat systems and vessel handling on sail or power boats.  My license isn't the most impressive around.  I'm not likely to start driving megayachts any time soon.  But put me onboard a 40 or 50 something recreational vessel with new owners or a charter party and we'll  all have a good time.  Not bragging. That's just what I do. 
But now my job is to go around talking to professionals in the network.  Yesterday seemed like a productive day.  Patience and persistence are also part of the job.   

No comments:

Post a Comment