Friday, January 4, 2013

Going to Key West!



Yesterday I sent out email to some former advanced sailing students.  I was curious if any of them might be interested in chartering a boat with which to participate in this year’s Bone Island Regatta.  That’s the annual race in May that starts near St Petersburg and finishes in Key West, about 220 nautical miles away.

There were some quick responses to my email, followed by a couple of phone conversations.  I was amazed and delighted that within just a few hours I’d pulled it together.  I have an entry in the event.  Former students of mine will charter one of our new boats – a Jeanneau 50DS – for a week long adventure:  participate in the race to Key West (and with that boat we’d better finish well up I the standings!), enjoy the post-race festivities, then cruise on back to St Petersburg.  How can that not be fun?

Now I wonder – might I also be able to pull together a crew to participate in a two week adventure? - the annual race to Isla Mujeres, Mexico at the end of April?    

No comments:

Post a Comment