Saturday, December 4, 2010

Working the St Petersburg boat show

Anyone who has worked a trade show knows that it can be both fun and tiresome.  The fun is setting up in the new venue, meeting and talking to industry colleagues, and having those first conversations with the buying public.  But soon the reality of three days in a booth sets in - having the same conversations, answering the same questions, eating expensive but mediocre convention food.


But at this boat show, some how, I've gotten the best job in the entire show.  I'm not working a booth.  I'm sailing a Catalina 44, giving 45 minute demonstration rides for people who sign up with Sail America's Discover Sailing program.  I'm not selling anything.  I'm merely showing people what I do, which is sail boats and have a great time doing so. 

How'd I get so lucky?  I should go buy a lottery ticket this morning before I go back to "work" at the boat show.  

No comments:

Post a Comment