Tuesday, December 14, 2010

Perspective from Home Depot

Yesterday I walked into a Home Depot for the first time since coming to St Petersburg.  I went there looking for a shower drain strainer for a Sailing Florida charter yacht.  Doing so, I got a weird feeling of perspective shift. 

Back in Portland, sailing: teaching, yacht deliveries and so forth, were only a part-time occupation.  Most of my income was from doing home improvements. I'd frequently be in Home Depot getting supplies or tools.  The geography in Home Depots are all the same, which is good because they're also very big.  I could walk into any Home Depot and know where to look for the things I needed. 

So it was yesterday.  I knew where to look for shower drain parts, but while walking the aisles I passed countless other items.  Tile saws and grout.  Electrical devices of all kinds.  Plumbing bits.  Tools.   A spectrum of wood products. 

I came to this realisation.  I knew all these products.  I'd worked with them all.  I haven't forgotten how.  But now, here in St Petersburg, I don't need to.  Instead I work on boats.  West Marine is now my Home Depot. 

That was a gratifying moment.  Not that I regret those years of experience doing home improvements.  It was a good education.  It's made me a better handyman and marine mechanic.  But I'm very happy to be doing what I do now - messing around on boats - instead of home improvements.              

1 comment:

  1. Yes!!! I too rarely go to home depot and am looking for someone to buy my table saw, miter saw, etc. It is nice to be out of the construction business.

    ReplyDelete