Thursday, October 21, 2010

How will I ever thank Cathy enough?

Capt Dave, proprietor of Sailing Florida, asked me to meet with him at the conclusion of the Bareboat course I just finished teaching.  He surprised me with an offer to get involved with the charter yacht aspect of the business.  I'd be working with charter clients doing yacht systems and mechanical briefings, chart briefings and float plans, doing repairs and maintenance on the yachts, captaining day charters, sunset cruises, corporate team building programs, as well as teaching ASA courses. 

This work is very much like the work I did through many fun years in the Virgin Islands.  Cathy encouraged me to take the job, so I have. 


How often does it happen that someone gets the opportunity to re-create a period of their life when their work made them happiest?  A period when you felt that you were where you were meant to be.  Doing the work you were meant to do.  Special work in a special place.  And getting paid well to do it.

I was in that situation for several years while I was in the Caribbean.  Years when I worked for LaVida Yacht Charters, when I was captain of the motoryacht "Silvercrset", and when I worked for Trawlers in Paradise.  Those were the most fun and gratifying work years ever.  But I was single and wanting a partner.

Now, more than ten years later, I am astonished and delighted to find work that very closely resembles those great years in the Caribbean. 

Even more astonishing is that the partner I found after leaving the Caribbean brought me to this place and facilitated my great fortune in finding this work.

1 comment:

  1. I am going to start a team building project with Girls, Inc. and get young girls involved in sailing. You might want to see if there is something like that there. They help mentor young girls to eliminate peer pressure and drug introduction. Cool eh?

    ReplyDelete