Sunday, May 20, 2012

Settling in.

It's been a long time since I've had time and energy to write.  This past month has been brutal.  Demands at work as well as all the finishing touches to the condo renovation, packing the old apartment and then moving had both of us feeling like our lives were a constant stream of effort.  We've been going full speed for so long that it's difficult to remember a time when we weren't.  But here we are now, our first Sunday morning in the new place, and while the art work and pictures are still in boxes and there are empty boxes waiting to be taken away, I'm sitting in a room that is otherwise feeling near-ready and home-like.  The balcony is two floors directly above the pool and courtyard.  Beach Drive is a block and half block away.  Tampa Bay and the marina where I work is a five minute walk. 

 

It would be nice if I could take the entire day off.  Sit around catching up on some of the motor-racing on the DVR.  Later walk to the movie theater to see a film.  But there are still several small projects waiting for me around the condo, and this afternoon there's a four hour sail on the Catalina 39 that I volunteered to do - easy money.

 

I'm beginning to feel settled here, but there's also a level of curiosity about what the future holds.  It feels like we're now staged for a new chapter.  Cathy's position with NOAA has evolved to a place where she is secure but still faces many challenges.  My position with Sailing Florida has evolved - and so has Sailing Florida.  The following perspective came to me last week – in the time I've been with Sailing Florida (just over a year and a half) the charter fleet has doubled in size.  That's a remarkable fact.  And the growth hasn't stopped.  Just this week we brought a lovely little like-new Catalina 309 into the fleet.  Next month we're to take delivery of a 2012 Hunter 50.  In September we'll get the 2013 Jeanneau 53.       

               

The week ahead – I'm teaching ASA curriculum Monday through Thursday.  So far Friday is clear and it would suit me well if it remains so.  I would use it to take my time getting myself and my R6 ready for a long overdue weekend at the track.  It's been three months since my last.  I'm planning a pre-dawn Saturday departure for the drive to Jennings, up next to the Georgia border.  I'll do my best to tear up the track on Saturday and Sunday, then return home Sunday evening.  After this month it will probably be too hot to contemplate putting on leathers and helmet.  I'll likely not do another trackday until the fall, after the trip to Europe in September. 

 

 

    

No comments:

Post a Comment