Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Fwd: from Roy

Skipperroy.blogspot.com

-------- Original message --------
Subject: from Roy
From: Roy Rogers <roy.skipperroy.rogers@gmail.com>
To: Kimbra Selbie <selbiek@telus.net>
CC:

Simon and Kim,

Lovely photos of Kim and Gracie on Kim's FB page.

I wonder. All the snorkeling and swimming you did, what was the water temperature like? I ask because the few parts of the Pacific that I've stuck my toe in have been chilly. But that was in the Pacific NW and California. I can imagine HI has much warmer water temperatures.

February is turning out to likely be a record setting sea time month for me. At the rate I've been going I'll spend half the days on the calendar on the water It was typical last year in our busy season that I'd spend one day in three on the water. This is month is on track to be one day out of every two.

Example: Last week I did a four day charter with a family from the Chicago area onboard the Leopard 44 catamaran. That ended on Sunday. Monday I started a four day cycle of teaching ASA classes - two days on a Beneteau 37 and then two more on a Hunter 44.

That's not a complaint. I enjoy it. The money is good. It's just busy. And now Cathy is away all this week, up in DC until Friday evening. This weekend coming is my long planned weekend away up at the track at Jennings in the north of Florida. I'll pick Cathy up at the airport Friday evening. Very early Saturday morning I'll drive a rental pickup loaded with my race bike and gear up to Jennings. Ride Saturday. Stay in a nearby motel that evening. Ride again Sunday and drive back that evening. Already I have another charter booked for that week following – three days on a Catalina 350. No doubt more work will come my way, which is fine. If not, well I'm sure there are diesels on a couple boats that are about due for service routines.

The half marathon back on the 12th was a bit of a disaster for me. Not complete disaster, because I was able to finish in under two hours. But a partial disaster because my ankle began to be a problem at mile four. By half way I was unsure that I'd be able to complete the event. I slogged on, one mile at a time. Limping more and more. My pace falling. The last half of the 13.1 mile run was no fun at all. Usually I enjoy long runs, especially in big, high energy events such as this. But this one became a bald test of determination. Refuse to let the pain stop me. Every step in the last couple miles was merely that. Refuse to let the pain stop me. I was running like a wounded animal. I finished in 1:57.

My goal time before the ankle injury had been 1:45. I tracked my pace through the miles and saw that I was on target to hit my original goal – but when the ankle got bad it was no longer possible to maintain that pace. I finished relieved that I had come in under 2 hours. I walked with a bad limp for the next two days. It's much better now, but I'll give the ankle extra time to heal before trying another run – a short one.

I'd better get ready for my day.

RR

http://skipperroy.blogspot.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment